Coffee Gurus

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

PC Grinder Update

Well, the the burr grinding of the PC Grinder was fine, the over quality of the grinder is NASTY. After a few months of messing with various bits falling off the grinder, the entire top bean hopper snapped off!

I reattached it with duct tape (yes, I'm a geek) and it worked for a while longer until I could no longer stand it!

It has since been replaced with a new burr grinder that was on sale at Starbucks. More later on that.

In the meantime, dear readers, my advice is to stay away from the PC Grinder!

2 Comments:

  • Wow, only three months. My La Pavoni Jolly is still going after 5.5 years -- so I don't have to feel guilty about spending all that money on it now. The Europiccola, on the other hand, has been in the shop twice. And, I think it has a new leak. What can I do? It's gorgeous, and makes good coffee. I can't trade it in for a Nespresso!

    By Blogger Chantal, at 4:07 PM  

  • Yeah, that's already with duct tape and 2 part glue for polycarb!

    My old Gaggia MDF I've had forever too. It was expensive but it is running strong without much maintenance.

    The Europiccola is a bit twitchy in terms of reliability. Your issue seem to be related to seals...after about 5 years, I replaced ALL the rubber bits.

    My big Pavoni repair was the boiler...first it was the thermal fuse, but once that was fixed the boiler was next. At this point, about 3 years ago, I thought it was shot. However, seeing as it is such a simple machine mechanically, I replaced it and all has been well since.

    The boiler that I have in there now is heavier duty and needed longer bolts to attach...that miserable week when the Pavoni was down...I happened to go to a meeting that was right near a place that ONLY sold fasteners!

    I think I had to buy 3 bolts at something like 10 cents a piece. Boy, was I relieved that I didn't have to work out how to machine it myself!

    Chantal, you can handle it. You drive an Alfa, don't you? ;-)

    That said, secretly (or not so secretly now...) I actually would like a Nespresso machine to replace the mess making E61 beast at the office. Sacrilege! I know, I know...

    By Blogger Renart, at 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home