Coffee Gurus

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

La Pavoni: Fan Mail + Tips and Techniques

After 8 years, I still receive email from La Pavoni addicts from all corners of the world. Here's a very nice one from Paul Martinetti where he also shares some insight into the process of pulling a good shot and frothing with tips and techniques.

-=-=

Hello,

Thank you very much for your article on the La Pavoni machine. I'm a new owner of a Europiccola millenium, and novice at making my own espresso, although a long time fan of the drink.

Your writing on temperature management and using only the double filter is very helpful. My local Starbucks has been giving me free 1/4-lb bags of ground Espresso Roast until we got the grind just right, so that I tamp, but not more than 50-lb. I'm getting dark crema, and amazing coffee, with about 3 weeks of daily practice. Until this nirvana, I experienced the drek - watery and bitter, then burnt around the 30minute point. I'm glad to have experienced this, because I now have a great appreciation for the art. But I was about to give up on the machine, had I not found your article.

I'm nervous about buying a grinder, because it seems anything under $200 will not grind fine enough. I'm still reading reviews.

I'm making espressos and espresso macchiatos. Cold whole milk with the cappuccino automatic attachment set near the thin end is reliably making perfect microfoam. Two key moves: I open the steam to max with no pitcher under, until water stops dripping, then with my right hand I raise the cold milk cup up to just below the steam arm to increase milk flow, dip the tube in the milk with remaining fingers, and catch the milk with the pitcher perfectly timed in my left hand. This took some practice.

Thanks again for your article!

Kind regards,

Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home